Did You Know That 75% Of Your Health Comes From The Foods You Eat?
Many people put hours of effort into their exercise regime while paying little attention to the foods they eat – you truly are what you eat. Invest in yourself and let YMCA instructors help you achieve your health goals. At the Y, we believe that small steps lead to big changes. The first step to a healthier life may be at the dinner table and the choices made at the grocery store.
Kerry Nutrition Education Room
The Kerry Nutrition Education Center has a demo kitchen where we host monthly cooking classes and nutrition and healthy living events.
- Cooking classes for adults & kids*
- Free Healthy Living Talks hosted by Beloit Health System
- Free Blood Pressure screenings by Beloit Health System Fall-Spring
- Free 10-minute Physical Therapy screenings* once a month by Beloit Health System
- Other special events and programs like Friday Night Healthy Hour, The Body Project, Crafty Kids Club
*Sign-up required at the Front Desk
Nutrition is at the heart of a healthy lifestyle. It affects our energy, our stress, the impact of exercise and our ability to think clearly. But all too many don’t know where to start. The Y is here to help!
Cooking Classes have stopped for the time being. Stay tuned for classes in the Fall or virtual videos!
MEALS IN MINUTES
A well-balanced and nutritious diet is important for young athletes. It supports growing bodies, a healthy immune system, and gives them fuel to perform at their best in athletics and academics. Try these quick meal ideas as a guide to provide your athlete with needed energy!
DOWNLOAD MEALS IN MINUTES IDEAS
8 TIPS FOR CLEAN EATING
What is clean eating anyway? Clean eating is a good way to freshen up your eating habits: it’s about eating more of the best and healthiest options in each of the food groups—and eating less of the not-so- healthy ones. It’s about being more mindful of a food’s pathway between it’s origin and your plate, eating more foods found in or closest to their natural form. It’s also about steering clear of foods that are highly refined and processed. Here are 8 simple tips to help you clean up your eating act.
DOWNLOAD 8 TIPS FLIER
Harvest Month Recipes
What’s Harvest of the Month?
- Featured produce item for the month
- Teach families about seasons of produce and value of buying locally
- Get families to increase variety and amount of fruits and vegetables eaten
- Increase awareness of local farmers
Each month we will feature the Harvest of the Month and be sure to check out the Kerry Calendar each month to see when we will have taste tests, classes and healthy talks!
For more information, check out: http://harvestofthemonth.cdph.ca.gov/Pages/default.aspx & http://healthysd.gov/category/harvest+schools/
Click Here to Download the Flyer & Recipe